Friday, April 8, 2011

“The Machine is Using us” by Michael Walsh Sheppard


     The assistant Professor of cultural Anthropology at Kansas State University, Michael Walsh Sheppard, made a great movie. It’s not a usual one, that we are used to watching daily. The movie is made as if a computer user’s actions are recorded. The only task for us (people watching it) is just to be ready to read pretty fast texts that quickly change on our monitors.
     The author expresses his own opinion, and the way he does it is very good. Especially when he writes a sentence and then changes the one word’s position, which makes the whole sentence change its meaning. 
 I highlighted several phrases for myself, which support the main point of this movie: “We are the Web,”  “100 billion times per day people click on the web pages.” The thing is that the title of the movie is “The machine is us/using us.” It is our goal to make a conclusion for ourselves. The author just shows us the facts, he is not trying to prove who is more important in the modern World (people or machines).  As for me, I’m a part of this modern technology World. I communicate with parents and friends using Internet, I study with its help, but what I’m sure about is that people are able to live without all these things. The reason why they don’t do it is because it makes our life easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment